Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It's in the Genes


I will try to keep this as uncomplicated as possible, so here goes. Two weeks ago the oncologist ran a blood test on me to see if I had a sensitivity to 5FU one of the main components of my chemo. If you have this sensitivity, it means you have a 60% greater chance of developing toxicity to the 5FU. Well, folks, it is a genetic thing and it is in my genes, I have this sensitivity.

So what you may ask, does this mean for me? What it means is that I will start chemo on 5/5/08 at a reduced amount than is usual. We will try this for a while to see how my body tolerates it. The object is to gradually increase the amount of 5FU then add in the leucovorin and oxiliplatin and avastin, which help the 5FU work.
Instead of having chemo every other week, I will go every week. I will not come home with the portable pump for 48 hours following an infusion in the office, as was the original plan. My oncologist hopes to get me up to this point, she has to wait and see how my body tolerates the 5FU.
So that is the latest from this end. I still feel great, the incision is healing well, both from the colectomy and the insertion of the port catheter. I still get tired easily, but am getting lots of rest. I won't be going back to work at this point due to all the above. If you want to or are interested here is a link to some info about the genetic sensitivity.
Sherri

No comments: