Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Labor Day - What does it mean?


As Labor Day is approaching, I find that my thoughts turn to "What does Labor Day mean"? Oh, I know the "traditional" meaning, but what has it come to mean through the years other than the traditional meaning? To some it signifies the unofficial end of summer; the beginning of school, leaves changing colors, birds flying south, the coming of winter, football!

To others, it brings a dread of early darkness, no more basking in the sun, no more swimming, the end of baseball.

I for one look forward to the fall. I love that early morning crispness in the air, the smells that come with fall, the magnificent portraits painted on every hillside and in every valley. I love to curl up in a blanket on a Sunday afternoon with a cool breeze blowing through the window. I am one of those who actually enjoys wearing a jacket as football weather descends upon us. I love the multitude of colors of chrysanthemums, the sounds of marching bands, and cheering crowds.
And, I look forward to the first frost, Halloween, full moons, pumpkins, apples and a trip to my favorite childhood apple orchard.

Fall is already in the air. The leaves on my dogwood tree have been changing color for weeks now, and it is already full of those messy red berries. Yes folks, fall is on it's way.

Hooray!!! Sherri

1 comment:

Mandy Mundy said...

We'd love to join you on your visit to your favorite apple orchard!