Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Acceptance or Submission?


Like the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz giving directions, acceptance and/or submission can go "That-a-way".

I have been contemplating the definition of these two words for the past week. Do they really have opposite meanings or are they synonymous? What I have found is that to some, they are synonymous, but to me they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I had a recent discussion with someone about my cancer and I told them that I have come to terms with my illness (acceptance). They in turn asked me if I have given up the fight (submission).

My stand is, Okay, I got this, now what are we going to do about it? Does that sound like submission? To me it doesn't.

Anyway, it is not an easy fight. I have put up with being sick enough to land in the hospital, I have put up with being so tired I couldn't see straight, I have put up with bouts of nausea and sleepless nights. But I haven't submitted to this disease.

And now, I am undergoing perhaps the greatest insult of all, I am losing my hair. It came on suddenly yesterday and was worse today. Did I submit and withdraw? Heck No! I went and got my hair cut extremely short. It is still falling out and my hairdresser says it could possibly be gone in 2 weeks time. I had a little pity party yesterday, today I am trying on hats. I refuse to wear a turban or a scarf, I just don't like them.

So I will break out my buffing cloth, some baseball caps, learn to wear eyebrow pencil and just go about my life with my head held high - even if it winds up being bald!

Submission - not on your life!

Sherri

2 comments:

The Magill said...

Bald is beautiful.... Just ask Captain Picard!

Love,
Bill

Anonymous said...

You looked great today, and I don't see any submission in the offing. Keep up the attitude.
Love, Pat