Sunday, September 28, 2008

Behind the Five Ball (Treatment five)


Well, it seems that 5(not 8) is the unlucky number for me. As you remember, when I reached treatment 5 on the first go round, I got dehydrated and wound up in the hospital.

Monday (9/22/08) I had treatment #5 on the newest cocktail. It started with the usual anti-nausea meds, a little steroid and some Benadryl (all routine for my treatemnts). As I pleasantly dozed off compliments of the Benadryl, I heard the nurse calling my name. As I tiredly answered her she asked if I was okay to which I replied, "Yes, why?", she informed me that I was a lovely shade of pink. I looked down and low and behold I was covered with a mottled type rash that as I was looking at it began to grow together until I was one big red blotch.

At this point I was receiving the Oxaliplatin, which I have been getting since day one of my chemo. The Oxi was stopped and I was given extra Benadryl and extra steroids to counteract the reaction.

So the outcome is this; no more Oxaliplatin for me. I will also most likely being going back to weekly treatments of the Camptosar and down the line they might add in some Erbatux. I didn't sleep all night Monday night, Benadryl does that to me. But I did sleep all day Tuesday, all day Wednesday and 1/2 of Thursday (with food and bathroom breaks).

So for now, that's where things stand. I will be having the re-staging CT scan this week. I will keep you all informed, please keep me in your prayers.

Sherri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the most wonderful time with you on Sunday! Thanks again for all of your wonderful gifts!