Friday, September 11, 2009

What happened to summer?


It seems to me that the calendar just said June, I mean like yesterday! I just happened to look at the calendar this morning and it says September. What? Did I sleep the summer away? I didn't go anywhere, I didn't do anything, how did I miss summer? Is it possible that it hasn't arrived yet?


The latest on me is that I am waiting to hear if I qualify for a Phase II clinical trial for a new drug. In Phase I trials, researchers test an experimental drug or treatment in a small group of people (20-80) for the first time to evaluate its safety, determine a safe dosage range, and identify side effects. In Phase II trials, the experimental study drug or treatment is given to a larger group of people (100-300) to see if it is effective and to further evaluate its safety.


Yes, this is akin to being a guinea pig, but I have thoroughly researched this, discussed it with my oncologist ( who suggested it) and I have met with and talked to another oncologist at Fox Chase Cancer Center where the clinical trial is being done. To qualify for this trial I must have what is known as a microsatellite instability: Mutations in genes that repair damaged DNA cause regions called microsatellites to get longer or shorter, a phenomenon that scientists call microsatellite instability (MSI). Testing for microsatellite instability helps doctors determine whether a person is likely to have a gene mutation that causes hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer . Only people who have this MSI qualify for the trial. My DNA is being tested in Texas and it will be about 2 more weeks before I find out. We have temperarily stopped my chemo, as you must have a 4 week washout before beginning a trial. I am enjoying the break! If I do not qualify there are some Phase I trials to look at or I can go back on my chemo.


Either way I will keep you all posted.

I hope you all enjoyed your summer, I am still looking for mine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri,
I have been waiting to hear how you made out at your last visit. Hope you make the trial if that's what you feel is best. We'll be praying.

Love, Pat