Well, after a 2 week break, I began my chemo again today. This time, we switched drugs. I was against the switch at first, but after a long, informative exchange with my oncologist, I agreed to the change.
It seems that using the 5FU, with my body already showing signs of toxicity, continuing with this drug would be like playing Russian Roulette. And, understandably, my Doctor isn't willing to play Russian Roulette with my life.
I was concerned about the effectiveness of the IROX (reportedly less effective), but my oncologist pointed out that at reduced dosages, the 5FU was no more effective. She feels that we have already lost valuable time and would prefer to move on with my treatment plan. If I stayed with the 5FU treatment, I could wind up back in the hospital and lose time again. Not going there!
So, today is the 1st day of my new regime. Hopefully all goes well. One plus, they did test to see if I had a sensitivity to the Camptosar and I do not!
If you should go out onto the information highway, I can tell you ahead of time, there is a host of information about my treatments and for as many different articles out there, there also that many different opinions as to effectiveness. So for now I am taking a side road, less confusing, less nerve racking!
See you all soon, Sherri
New drug: Irinotecan (Camptosar) + Oxaliplatin
Monday, June 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well, Sherri, glad to see you are on track again. I'll be praying that everything goes well and you have no adverse reactions. I hope at this time of night, you are still feeling pretty good.
Post a Comment