Saturday, June 21, 2008

My Stay at Hotel Abington


More specifically, at the Rosenfeld Cancer Center. It wasn't a planned vacation for sure, but a more or less pleasant stay regardless.
After my last chemo treatment (week 5) I started to feel badly. I tried to ignore the feelings as I had a nice long Cape May weekend planned with the girls. By Friday, the day we were to leave, I really felt lousy and had begun diarrhea. Over the weekend I developed abdominal pain and couldn't eat. So first thing Monday when we returned home I went to the oncologist where I got a 2 hour infusion of fluids. I had to return Tuesday for another 4 hour fluid infusion. After the infusion I came home and took a nap. When I woke, I was running a fever. As fortune would have it, I had the phone in my hand ready to call my Guardian Angel, Connie, when the phone rang and it was her! I asked her if she could come be with me, just knew I didn't want to be alone. Now mind you, she was relaxing in her pool at her home in New Jersey when I asked her to come over. Without hesitation, she was by my side as soon as she could get her things together and get over the bridge. As it turned out, we needed to make a trip to the ER Tuesday night due to my continued symtoms. They kept me all night long, did all types of tests then sent me home at 5AM. Wednesday was so-so. Connie made me dinner and I was actually able to eat for the first time since Saturday. The problem was that everything I ate or drank was going right through me, and I was still running intermittent fevers. So an early Thursday morning call to my oncologist sent me back to the ER where I was admitted.
Thus, my 6 day stay at Hotel Abington! I was poked at, peeked at and prodded for 6 days with no conclusion as to whether or not I picked up some dirty little bug or whether it was all due to a reaction to the chemo. I was dehydrated, my potassium bottomed out and my magnesium was too low, so I was given lots and lots of fluids and was not allowed to have food or drink by mouth. After all the tests, the general consensus was that it was my body reacting to the chemo drugs. So now they are looking for alternatives. Oh Joy!
Connie stayed by my side for 2 days, running back to my house in-between to take care of the house. She gave me one less thing to worry about! BTW, couldn't get through here without also sending many hugs and kisses to Robin. Without her love and support and help with my puppy, Rags, I don't know what I would do! Love you Robin!
And of course, thank you to all of you who called, sent cards and came to see me. The sad part is, I now have a bag packed and ready for any future stays at Hotel Abington. As much as I hope there are none, at least I will be prepared.
What a Girl Scout!
Sherri

No comments: