I don't think after Monday I will ever think of a "cocktail" the same again. Not that I am a big drinker or even a connoisseur of what it takes to make a good cocktail, one glass of wine and I'm done. But now "cocktail" does have a whole new meaning to me. Dictionary.com does define cocktail as various mixed drinks consisting of rum, vodka, gin...etc., also mixed with fruit juices or flavorings. Further on in the definition it also defines it as a solution concocted of various drugs...aha.. enter in chemotherapy. By no means was this an unpleasant experience, no awful smells (not that I would be aware of them anyhow), no problems with conversation and gee, cell phones were even functioning. BUT, I was not the recipient of the "cocktail". I'm not sure what I really expected. I kept asking Sherry if she felt anything different or weird, I know she didn't look any different or weird (except when her eye suddenly started itching, but then she just put her glasses on to stop the eye strain). I probably got "mother henish" with her to a point because I just kept thinking something would happen, maybe she would glow or float or forget who I was. But fortunately I just had an over active imagination about all that stuff. After all, this was the first time I ever sat with someone receiving a chemotherapy treatment.
It's the kind of cocktail that I hope most of you never have to experience. However, it is the "cocktail" that will stop the dreaded cancer from finding a new address in Sherry and extend her quality of life and her years longer than any of us know. So you see I would never before have associated the word "cocktail" with hope, therefore I will never think of it the same again.
1 comment:
You can be a mother-hen to me any time at all! It was an experience that I was glad to have someone to share with me. But as far as cocktails go, I think I would still rather have the real kind. And for having a glow, it sure would save on night lights.
Post a Comment