Monday, May 5, 2008

Happy Cinco de Mayo - - Day 1 Chemo


I thought I would share some famous dates, birthdays and events in history that share today's date:


Oyster Day
Museum Day
Alan Shepard becomes first American in space, 1961
First US Train robbery in Ohio, 1865
Karl Marx born 1818
Tammy Wynette born 1942
National Hoagie Day
Totally Chipotle Day
Make-up Junkie Day
Join Hands Day
Cartoonists Day
Cinco de Mayo


Quite an interesting list, but I need to add one more to famous events on this day in history:

Sherri's first day of chemotherapy.

All in all it went well. The treatment took about 2 hours and began with a 10 minute infusion of an anti-naseau drug, then a 1 hour infusion of Leucovorin (folinic acid, a vitamin), then the IV push of the 5FU (50% solution) followed up with another hour of the Leucovorin. I felt fine throughout the whole process.

I did have some minor side effects later in the day that I noticed and noted. The first thing I noticed was that my vision was a little more blurred than usual when I wasn't wearing my glasses and my eyes were very sensitive to the sunlight. Sort of like when the eye doctor puts drops in your eyes to dilate them. The second thing I experienced was when I laid down to rest later this afternoon. I laid on my back and closed my eyes, oh boy, dizzy (no comments please!). All I had to do was open my eyes and it was gone. The third thing I noticed was early this evening, around 6:30 PM out of nowhere came this wonderfully delightful yucky taste in my mouth. That is still with me but not as strong as at first.

So now, as I get ready to call it a night, I am thankful to have my first day of chemo under the belt. Tomorrow is another day, Scarlet!

Sherri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sherri, I'm glad this first time went as well as it did. I will be praying that the others are just as uneventful, and that the bad taste goes away. Can you chew gum to help it?
Pat