Friday, May 9, 2008

Brighton Beach Memoirs


Why this title you may ask? I remembered this movie while riding home from Allura Wig Salon today. Now I may not need a wig, I may not lose my hair, but I don't want to walk around all wispy with 3 or 4 strands attached to my scalp either. So like the Boy Scouts, I am prepared. Now what does all of this have to do with Brighton Beach Memoirs? For those of you who are not familiar with this movie, or the play (both by Neil Simon), it is a story of coming of age in New York in 1937. Young Eugene Jerome lives with his parents and some of his extended family, one of whom is his Aunt Blanche whose husband died of ((((cancer)))) 6 years prior to the start of the story.

1937, a year when people still whispered the word ((((cancer)))), as if saying it out loud would bring the dreaded disease to their doorstep, like the final plague of Egypt (Exodus 11:1-12:36).

So, I got to wondering, how far will people go to avoid saying the word ((((cancer))))? I tried to Google slang words for ((((cancer)))) and couldn't really find any other than the "Big C" or the "C Word". I guess it has been whispered for so long, that slang hasn't had a chance to develop. Now mind you, I am not making light of this indiscriminate opportunist, but I am keeping light hearted.

My theory is this, if I say the word out loud, and show others that I can talk about this monster that has taken up residence in my body, than maybe they will be comfortable talking to me. Please be comfortable talking to me about this and how I feel, I really don't mind! When you think about it, most of us have a family member or know someone who has, had or died from ((((cancer)))).

Three and 1/2 years ago when I had my first colonoscopy and 9 benign polyps were removed, I was told to come back in 3 years. Now they are telling people with the same results to come back in one year. The standard protocol then is outdated now. The medical profession has learned from people like me. Am I angry, NO! Do I hope that my diagnosis makes it better for others in the future, YES! Do you need any other reason to make an appointment for YOUR colonoscopy?

When I had my gastric bypass, I was not one to regret it, or ever ask "What did I do to myself" ?and I am not now one to ask "Why me" ? I will continue to live my life as normally as possible until I can't.

Elizabeth Kubler-Ross defined the stages of grief as Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance. They don't necessarily happen in that order, some never happen and sometimes several happen at the same time. This can apply not only to the one who is afflicted, but to the ones who love them too. It is normal.

((((Cancer)))) is a lot of things to a lot of people. It brings forth many feelings and emotions. Let yourself feel them, work through them. I know I am, I have too. Just remember, at the end of the rainbow is the pot of gold!

By the way, if you didn't grow up when I did with all of my family, you won't recognize the picture at the top. All of "us" will. For those who don't, Breton Woods was our Brighton Beach, drama, laughter and all! I found this picture on Google Images, a bit before our time, but if you took that old car out of the picture, it sure looks like the old club house I remember!

Eugene Morris Jerome:
I'm putting all this down in my memoirs, so if I grow up twisted and warped, the world will know why.

That's All Folks, Sherri






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Aunt Sherrie,
Enjoying reading your blog. You are very good and interesting writer. Refreshing to get your perspective during this difficult time in your life.

Praying for you,
Adam

Robin said...

Yes it does look similar to Breton Woods, and oh do we have memories from there. (Sigh)
Love, Robin

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if it does or not. If that is the side wasn't there beach there when we knew it? Lots of good memories there. A fun time of life.
Pat